HOME   COMPARISONS   SEATING CHARTS   TICKETS   VIDEOS   MERCHANDISE   DIRECTIONS/PARKING   ADVERTISING   FEEDBACK   SITEMAP

STADIUMS: AFC - NFC - PAST - FUTURE - SUPER BOWLS - MORE

 
 

FORD FIELD

DETROIT, MI

The year 2002 marked the opening of three new stadiums in the NFL, including Ford Field, home of the Detroit Lions. In 1975 the Lions left Detroit, moving to Pontiac, MI and the 80,000 seat Silverdome. The Lions played there for over two decades before beginning to want a new stadium in the mid 1990s. By 1995, the Lions began discussing the possibly of moving back to Detroit because the Silverdome had become economically obsolete. On August 20, 1996 the Lions, owned by William Clay Ford, announced plans to build a new domed stadium in downtown Detroit. In November 1996, voters approved a referendum that paid for 51% percent of the football stadium, while the team paid the remaining 49% of the $430 million stadium. The Lions football stadium was built as a sports entertainment complex that also included Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers (MLB). Ford Motor Company purchased the naming rights to the stadium for $40 million over 20 years, therefore the stadium was named Ford Field. Construction began on November 16, 1999 and was completed in 2002.

On September 22, 2002, the Detroit Lions played their first game at Ford Field against the Green Bay Packers. Ford Field is one of the NFL's most unique stadiums. It has 65,000 seats and has a fixed roof supported by two 18ft-wide concrete columns. A structural-steel supported permanent dome was chosen to cover the facility because of Detroit's cold and harsh winter weather. One of the unique aspects of Ford Field is that the entire south wall of the stadium is made of the 1920s Hudson Warehouse. The 80-year-old building was renovated to include 132 luxury suites on three levels facing the playing field. It also includes retail shops and restaurants. When one thinks of a dome stadium they do not expect to see any outside light inside. However Ford Field incorporates lots of glass allowing for natural light inside. On the south entrance of Ford Field is a six story glass atrium that gives fans tremendous views of downtown Detroit's skyline. The FieldTurf playing field is 45 feet below street level, allowing fans easier access to their seats. Amenities at Ford Field include 7,000 club seats, 140 luxury suites, a club lounge, banquet rooms, conference and convention areas and a Lions team store. Other than being the home of the Lions, Ford Field hosts many other events. The stadium was the site of Super Bowl XL in 2006 between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Seattle Seahawks. It was the second time the Super Bowl has been played in the Detroit Metropolitan Area. The first, Super Bowl XVI, in 1982 at the Pontiac Silverdome between San Francisco and Cincinnati.

FACTS & FIGURES
-Tenant: Detroit Lions
-Capacity: 65,000
-Surface: Fieldturf
-Opened: 9/22/2002
-Naming Rights: Ford Motor Co. $1Million/yearly until 2042
-Architect: SHG, Inc., Rossetti Associates
-Cost:
$430 Million
-Public Financing: 51%
-Private Financing: 49%
-Directions & Parking
-Seating Chart
-Gameday Reviews
Super Bowl Tickets from OnlineSeats
SUPER BOWLS
SUPER BOWL XL
Pittsburgh Steelers vs Seattle Seahawks
February 5, 2006
FINAL SCORE: Steelers - 21, Seahawks - 10 MVP: Hines Ward
MAP & DIRECTIONS TO FORD FIELD
Address: 2000 Brush Street, Detroit, MI 48226
FROM:
Address or Intersection: City:
State: ZIP Code:
PARKING NEAR FORD FIELD
HOTELS NEAR FORD FIELD
FORD FIELD PICTURES

Click to Enlarge Pictures
MERCHANDISE
"Super Bowl XL" Pittsburgh Steelers 13.5"x39" Panoramic Poster
Super Bowl XL Panoramic Poster
"Super Bowl XXXIX" New England Patriots Panoramic Poster
Super Bowl XXXIX New England Patriots Panoramic Poster

MORE STADIUM MERCHANDISE

Copyright 2001 - Stadiums of Pro Football is not affiliated with the National Football League or with any team mentioned. No part of this page may be reproduced without permission from Stadiums of Pro Football. Contact Us with any problems on this page.