HOME   COMPARISONS   SEATING CHARTS   TICKETS   VIDEOS   MERCHANDISE   DIRECTIONS/PARKING   ADVERTISING   FEEDBACK   SITEMAP

STADIUMS: AFC - NFC - PAST - FUTURE - SUPER BOWLS - MORE

 
STADIUM MERCHANDISE
Buffalo Bills - Ralph Wilson Stadium Gold Coin Photo Mint
Ralph Wilson Stadium PhotoMint
Ralph Wilson Stadium City Print
Ralph Wilson Stadium City Print
Ralph Wilson Stadium Buffalo Bills 3D Stadium Replica
Ralph Wilson Stadium 3D Stadium Replica
Buffalo Bills - Ralph Wilson Stadium Signature Collection
2013 Buffalo Bills, Ralph Wilson Stadium Signature Collection Poster

Other NFL Stadium Items

WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM

BUFFALO, NY

Before the construction of the Bills current home, Ralph Wilson Stadium, the team played at War Memorial Stadium, a classic old stadium located along Dodge Street, Best Street and Jefferson Avenue. Construction of a stadium in the Buffalo area began in 1935 as part of President Franklin Roosevelt's WPA programs. A single tier grandstand stadium that enclosed the field was constructed and opened in 1938. Upon its opening it was known Roesch Stadium, Grover Cleveland Stadium and Civic Stadium before finally being named War Memorial Stadium in 1960. It originally had a seating capacity of 35,000. Before the Bills arrival, the stadium hosted several early NFL games, numerous track and racing events and baseball games. In 1947, the All American Football Conference awarded Buffalo a franchise that became the Bills. The team became a member of the AFL and played its first home game as a member of the league on September 18, 1960. The Buffalo Bills played at War Memorial Stadium for thirteen years until they moved into Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Bills played their last game at the stadium on December 10, 1972 against the Detroit Lions. In the 1960s the stadium saw one major addition, an upper deck on the north side that gave the stadium a hodge podge look. This gave the stadium a seating capacity of 46,201. War Memorial Stadium sat basically empty after the Bills moved out until 1979 when the Triple AAA Buffalo Bisons baseball team moved back to War Memorial Stadium. The baseball team had played at War Memorial Stadium at various times since 1961. Over the years, people in Buffalo gave War Memorial Stadium the nickname, the Rockpile. Over its half of a century of existence, the stadium saw many great players play on its playing field. By the mid 1980s the stadium was showing its age and it was demolished in 1988. Today it is the site of an athletic facility.

FACTS & FIGURES
-Tenant: Buffalo Bills
-Capacity: 46.201
-Surface: Grass
-Opened: September 18, 1960 (NFL)
-Closed: December 10, 1972 (NFL)
-Other Names: None
-Cost:
Unknown
-Architect: Unknown
-Demolished: 1988
NFL Tickets from OnlineSeats
STADIUM SITE TODAY
 
WAR MEMORIAL STADIUM PICTURES

Click to Enlarge Pictures
PANORAMIC NFL STADIUM POSTERS
Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium Panorama Poster
Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium Panorama Poster
New Orlean Saints at the Superdome Panorama Poster
New Orleans Saints at the Superdome Panorama Poster

MORE MERCHANDISE

Copyright 2001 - Stadiums of Pro Football is not affiliated with the National Football League or with any team mentioned. No part of this page may be reproduced without permission from Stadiums of Pro Football. Contact Us with any problems on this page.