Constructed in the early 1920s, Municipal Stadium was home to many teams during its existence. The stadium was originally built for the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro League and for the Kansas City Blues (minor league baseball team). The stadium consisted of a one tiered grandstand that had a seating capacity of 17,500. In 1954, Kansas City acquired its first major professional franchise. Owner of the Philadelphia A’s Arnold Johnson decided to move his baseball team to Kansas City. In order for the capacity to be increased at Municipal Stadium, an upper deck was added. The stadium was expanded in January 1955 as a double decked grandstand was constructed that increased the seating capacity to 30,611.
In the early 1960s, owner of the Dallas Texans (AFL), Lamar Hunt, decided to move his team because the City of Dallas could not support two football teams. Hunt looked at several possible cities to move the Texans to such as Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans and Seattle. The Texans tried to move to New Orleans, but were denied by officials at Tulane Stadium. Officials did not want a professional football team to compete with its team. Hunt was persuaded by Kansas City Mayor, H. Roe Bartle, to move the Texans to Kansas City after agreeing to expand Municipal Stadium to seat 49,000 fans. The Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City after the 1962 and were renamed the Chiefs. On October 6, 1963 the Kansas City Chiefs played their first game at Municipal Stadium against the Houston Oilers. While playing at Municipal Stadium, the Chiefs shared the stadium with the A’s and in 1969 with the Royals. By the mid 1960s, bonds were issued that allowed two new stadiums to be built for football and baseball. The Chiefs played their last game at Municipal Stadium on December 25, 1971 and moved into Arrowhead Stadium the following year. Municipal Stadium was demolished in 1976 and is now the site of a flower garden.